A long time ago women sewed clothes and different things for home by themselves. For thousands of years, sewing was carried out exclusively by hand. The invention of the sewing machine in the 19th century and computerization in the second half of the 20th century led to the massive industrial production of garments, but hand sewing is still widely practiced throughout the world. Skillful handicraft is typical of professional tailors, haute couture, traditional national dress, and is appreciated by professionals and amateurs as an expression of creativity.
The first mentions of the quilting technique, as the art of joining several fabrics, are found in historical descriptions dating from the 11th century. It is believed that this technique was first originated in England. The reason for this type of handicraft was ordinary poverty. People were forced to make new ones from the remnants of old clothes, as well as create various products needed in everyday life. The very idea of the geometric selection of the pattern of various pieces of fabric originates from the traditional folk craft. It is possible that the appearance of patchwork ornaments came to us from the ancient art of creating mosaic compositions. It is not without reason that sewing from quilting is also called «quilt mosaic”.
But with time this traditional métier becomes from necessity to simple interest. People must not do clothes – they can buy it in the shop on the street or website. Different designs and colors make it colorful and beautiful but so boring and the same type. Despite this modern needlewomen like to return to the old traditions and sew something unique, only for them.
If you want to create something special for yourself or someone else, you can make it by your hands. What do you need for it? Only tissue, threads, needles, scissors, simple sewing machines, and sewing machines for quilting and embroidery, of course.
Using high-quality materials and equipment, you can make the conceived thing neat and beautiful. Always buy the very best you can afford and you will be satisfied with the results of your work. Choose fabrics with a dense, uniform texture. The best material for quilting is traditionally one hundred percent cotton. Cotton fabrics are less deformed, iron good, and last longer than most other fabrics. Moreover, during the quilting of the product, the needle passes through them more easily. Blended fabrics (such as cotton and polyester) wear out less, wash better, and are good for making children’s products, potholders, coasters, etc.
Sewing machine for quilting and embroidery needs for design and decorate clothes that you sewed or bought. It’s a great idea to bring more colors and dreams in your clothes. At the same time, this type of machine can be used as an attribute of independent creativity.
The choice of a sewing machine deserves special attention. In principle, this is an ordinary sewing machine, which outwardly does not differ from others. However, if this is a machine with advanced quilting capabilities, then, as a rule, special and additional stitches are included. The machine is equipped with features that provide maximum comfort during labor-intensive work. For example, a knee lifter, an increased foot lift up to 14mm. Such machines are capable of operating for a long time, i.e. more reliable.
Modern technologies have not spared the world of sewing technology. The characteristics of the latest novelties occupy more than one page of the advertising booklet and it is not easy even for an experienced person to choose a sewing machine.
The price of the sewing machine suggests its reliability and functionality. A suspiciously low cost indicates minimal capabilities or cheap assembly.
High-quality mechanical machines cost from 100$, and for electronic ones, under 1000$ can be considered such a threshold.back to menu ↑
Electronic and computer machines are equipped with a horizontal shuttle or innovative branded shuttles. The control panel and monitor are designed to select and adjust the seam parameters, as well as display additional information and prompts. The number of operations reaches 1000 and can include fonts, decorative wide patterns, dozens of loops. The operating speed is regulated both by the pedal and on the body.
Choose sewing and embroidery machine for beginners right:
- Choose a trusted brand.
- For a start, an electromechanical machine will suffice, but if the budget allows, buy an electronically controlled machine.
- A horizontal shuttle is suitable for simplicity and ease of operation. Another option is a vertical swing shuttle on more expensive and better quality machines.
- If you are just learning to sew, choose a sewing machine with speed control.
- If you plan to sew thick and heavy fabrics, thin and delicate fabrics, check if the machine works with them.
- In order not to immediately spend money on additional legs, choose a model with a good basic set. Even if you buy a typewriter online, it is better to find an opportunity to try it out in an offline store and talk to the sellers. If this is not possible, read reviews and ask for advice in thematic communities.
Home sewing and embroidery machine should be:
- for all types of fabrics;
- with overlock and elastic seam.
Usually, the machine comes with a screwdriver, a cleaning brush, several bobbins, a ripper, and several legs. This can be afoot for sewing a simple and invisible zipper, a buttonhole foot, a Teflon foot, a rolled hem foot, a gathering foot, a bias tape foot, and/or others. If the set of accessories in your chosen car is not very large, pay attention to the fact that they can be purchased additionally. The easiest way to find on sale accessories for machines of well-known brands.back to menu ↑
Even if you only need a sewing machine occasionally and you do not plan to sew complicated things on it, it is better to opt for the equipment of trusted manufacturers. Here are the brands to recommend:
First, machines from well-established brands tend to be more sophisticated, comfortable, easy to use, and of high quality. Secondly, if the equipment does break down, in the case of well-known brands, it is easier to find a knowledgeable master or service center to fix the breakdown. Not everyone knows how to work with machines of little-known brands, and it can be difficult to find spare parts for them. Third: for machines of well-known brands, more additional legs, and other components are produced: it will be easier to expand the functionality of the machine.back to menu ↑
The body material is one of the most important characteristics of a sewing machine, although this is often forgotten when choosing a technique. Each option has its own advantages and disadvantages.
Fans of metal machines call their main advantage durability. But high-quality plastic is also quite strong and durable. It will not be damaged if you do not expose it to mechanical damage and keep away from fire.
Some of the advantages of plastic sewing machines:
- Availability. Since this material is cheaper than metal, manufacturers can manufacture equipment in large quantities and offer it at lower prices.
- Wide range of models in different sizes. You can find equipment for special operations for sewing things (for example, an overlock).
- Less weight makes it easier to transport and carry equipment.
- The machines are often computerized and have a wide range of options.
Now let’s call the cons:
- Plastic may crack if dropped or hit by a hard object.
- The housing may melt if exposed to extreme heat.
- Less durability with heavy use.
- Due to its lightweight, the machine vibrates more when sewing thick fabrics.
- Incorrect disposal increases the amount of plastic in landfills.
- Better protected from mechanical and thermal damage.
- Due to its massiveness, the machine vibrates less when sewing dense fabrics.
- Reliability and durability.
- Since many metal-bodied machines are quite old, they are easy to use.
- Less harm to the environment.
- Frequent lubrication and other maintenance are required.
- Difficulties may arise with the search for spare parts and repairs. Many parts have already been discontinued. The older the technique, the more difficult it is to restore it.
- A significant weight means more difficult transportation. Some machines with a metal body are even difficult to lift.
- Limited options due to the wear and tear of many models.
The choice also depends on your needs. If you rarely sew without complicated operations, you can also use an old sewing machine with a metal body. If you want to get more functionality and more choice, you will have to pay attention to plastic models.back to menu ↑
Here are the Top-10 sewing and embroidery machine and now we will know what is the best sewing and embroidery machine.
Top 10 – Brother SE625 Combination Computerized Sewing
The machine is quite simple. It is suitable for both professional sewing and home sewing.
- fairly low price, which is very important in times of crisis;
- multifunctionality allows you to perform work of any complexity and any volume, the lines are even and neat, does not make passes;
- quiet operation without vibration even sews suede.
- very small accessory compartment.
Top 9 – Bernette 340 Deco Swiss Design Embroidery Machine
Good sewing and embroidery machine for home. Easy to use and
it takes up little space. But you must take into consideration, the technology is a little older.
- there are many built-in embroidery patterns in the machine’s memory;
- you can additionally install new ones if necessary.
- difficulty in the study and first use.
Top 8 – Brother Embroidery Machine, PE550D
That Embroidery Machine isn’t for beginners, you must have some experience before using it. With tutorials on YouTube, you can learn to use it quickly.
- easy to use, there are 45 Disney designs in the machine’s memory.
- not for beginners, need experience with sewing.
You can see more on this video:back to menu ↑
Top 7 – Brother PE535 Embroidery Machine
The best for home-using. Simple and easy to use. If you want to have an embroidery machine for yourself using, to decorate your own things, that machine is for you.
- an affordable embroidery machine with a large color LCD screen,
- making it easy to edit designs.
- slow, because of which it takes a lot of time to master the drawing.
You can see more on this video:back to menu ↑
Top 6 – Brother SE600 Sewing and Embroidery Machine
- automatic needle threader and drop-in top bobbin: This sewing and embroidery combo machine includes an automatic needle threader that perfectly pushes thread through the needle and a convenient, jam-resistant drop-in top bobbin,
- 103 Built-in sewing stitches: This machine features 103 sewing stitches including 10 styles of auto-size buttonholes.
- Maximum Sewing Speed (Stitches per minute)- 71,
- Large color touchscreen.
- sometimes has a mistake in work,
- loops can be uneven, skipped, or tightened.
Top 5 – Janome Horizon Memory Craft 9850
Has all the best futures for garment sewing, embroidery, fabric crafting, home decor.
- 200 built-in stitches;
- LCD full-color touchscreen;
- Speed: up to 1000 stitch/min.
- No DVD included.
Top 4 – Brother PE800 Embroidery Machine
This embroidery machine lets you select from built-in designs or import your own using USB port.
- 138 built-in designs;
- 25-year limited warranty;
- LCD touchscreen display;
- USB port.
- No sewing function.
Top 3 – Brother LB5000S Star Wars Sewing and Embroidery Machine
Express your passion for Star Wars with 3 Classic character faceplates.
- LCD touchscreen display;
- Star Wars Design Pack included;
- 80 built-in designs.
- Some people report that the USB port doesn’t work
Top 2 – Brother SE1900 Sewing and Embroidery Machine, 138 Designs, 240 Built-in Stitches, Computerized, 5″ x 7″ Hoop Area, 3.2″ LCD Touchscreen Display, 8 Included Feet
The best-computerized sewing and embroidery machine. The accuracy of the image of the drawing is surprising, and the workmanship is one of the best that you could see.
- over 100 embroidery designs are built into the machine.
- there are several options for adding to that total.
- the machine can make buttonholes.
Top 1 – Janome Memory Craft 500E Embroidery Machine
It’s extremely easy to personalize, monogram, and embellish home décor items, accessories, and garments.
- 60 built-in embroidery designs;
- DVD Installation/embroidery editor guide;
- On-screen editing functions.
• Needs a separate frame for hats embroidery.